McDonnell Douglas RF-4B Phantom II


RF – Type (Reconnaissance Fighter); 4 – (Numerical Designation); B – (Version or Variant)

The McDonnell Douglas RF-4B was the photo reconnaissance version of the versatile F-4 Phantom II. It first flew on March 12, 1965 with the first delivery going to Marine Composite Utility Squadron Three (VMCJ-3), based at MCAS El Toro, in May of 1965. The RF-4B also served with Marine Composite Squadrons VMCJ-1 and VMCJ-2, and entered combat in October 1966, equipping VMCJ-1 at Da Nang, Republic of Vietnam.

All 46 RF-4Bs produced by the McDonnell Aircraft Company went to the Marine Corps with the last RF-4B delivered on December 24, 1970. The last twelve of these RF-4Bs were built on RF-4C frames with larger tires, wheel wells and reinforced wings. Differing from the fighter version of the F-4, the RF-4B had a longer nose that housed forward and side oblique cameras, and featured photoflash cartridges for night photography. Film could also be developed in flight and film cassettes could be ejected at low altitude so that ground commanders could get aerial intelligence as rapidly as possible. The large AN/APQ-72 radar was also replaced with the much smaller AN/APQ-99 forward-looking J-band monopulse radar which was optimized for terrain avoidance and terrain-following, and could be used for ground mapping.

Initially each active duty Marine Aircraft Wing (MAW) had operational squadrons that supplied separate photo reconnaissance and electronic countermeasure aircraft. In 1975, the entire photo reconnaissance mission of the Marine Corps was assigned to VMCJ-3 of Third Marine Aircraft Wing (3rd MAW) and the squadron was soon redesignated as Marine Photo Reconnaissance Squadron Three (VMFP-3). The squadron then supplied detachments to the users, both Navy and Marine. The last RF-4B in Marine Corps service was retired in 1990, prior to Desert Storm.

The RF-4B Phantom II on display was initially accepted on 15 October 1965 and delivered to VMCJ-3 at MCAS El Toro, spending its entire service with that squadron and its predecessor, VMFP-3. It was retired on April 25, 1990 with 5,364 airframe hours and presented to the Command Museum. It is painted in the colors of Marine Photo Reconnaissance Squadron Three, (VMFP-3), while based at MCAS El Toro. This aircraft is on loan from the National Museum of the Marine Corps.


3 thoughts on “McDonnell Douglas RF-4B Phantom II

  1. Semper Fi, served VMCJ-3 and VMFP-3, 1974-79 radar shop. Noticed typo in last paragraph, first sentence where “predecessor” should be “successor” or equivalent. VMCJ-3 was the first, therefor VMFP-3 could not precede it. I was there when they made the change. I hated to see the EA-6B’s go. Thanks for the awesome website.

  2. Dear Sirs, I was a pilot just out of flight training with VMCJ-3 at El Toro. It is my recollection that we had one RF-4B when I arrived in July of 1965. We didn’t fly it and the ones that were delivered slowly after that period, because there were no trained pilots and we didn’t have simulators. We didn’t fly them for some time, since the USMC didn’t have many qualified pilots. We didn’t have simulators, either. I actually started flying the RF-4B in March of 1966. I doubt of any of the pilots in our squadron flew the RF-4B until the fall or winter of ’65, for, there were no instructor pilots. Eventually, a Capt. Scarborough who, I think, had been with the first USMC squadron in Vietnam, was transferred to our squadron after six months or so in Vietnam. Basically, us “nuggets” trained each other and, of course, the various maintenance divisions gave us lectures and tests on the various systems. I didn’t start flying the RF-4B until March of ’66. Capt. Scarborough was eventually assisted by Capt. Doxee. But, basically, we got a ride in the back seat with Capt. Scarborough, or, Capt. Doxee flying as pilot, and then our second flight was with Capt. Scarborough or Capt Doxee riding in the back seat. After that flight “we were plane commanders of the RF-4B”. It is hard to believe, but that is how it went. We all did well; US Navy/Marine flight training was truly remarkable to change us from “wet behind the ears” college graduates (biology for me) to flying the fastest jet up to that time with such minimal training. I had 100 hours in the RF-4B Phantom II when I went over seas to Danang. I flew 150 combat missions, for 9 months at night, since I had a day job, too.

    Unfortunately, Capt. Doxee was killed taking off at Yuma. It was a familiarization training flight for the guy in the back seat and it was a flaps-up take-off: part of the syllabus. The Phantom had tons of power, but it was very hot, especially on the blacktop runway. I remember when entering the cockpit in such weather I couldn’t touch the aluminum skin of the plane since it was so hot. On rotation, the plane basically, mush-stalled and rolled right (I think). The pilot in the back seat ejected before Capt. Doxee and his seat trajectory was proper enough for his chute of open and he lived through it, but had numerous injuries. Capt. Doxee was killed in that crash. Good Guy, for sure. Later, Lt. Longo doing a zoom climb and then “0” G recovery at about 40,000 ft. stall-spun and both he and the Reconnaissance Systems Operator (forgot his name) ejected o.k., but the plane crashed in San Diego Bay. There is an article about it on the web. I did the same maneuver on familiarization flight 4 and I remember it was a bit strange for me, being such a low-hour pilot, but if a person was gentle on the controls going over the top in the “0” G portion of the flight (engine at idle, I think) and gently guiding the nose down to assume a normal acceleration attitude it was an easy maneuver. But, it was a slowly evolving maneuver and a pilot had to be patient and fly the angle of attack and keep appraised of the horizon on both sides of the cockpit. I personally think that the maneuver should have been scheduled later in the syllabus.

    Also, much later talking to the “then XO” Major Percival, he told me that all of the pilots just out of flight training were personally selected by himself or the CO Lt. Col. Fink, since they knew that the RF-4B was a highly complicated plane, a great quantum leap over the RF-8, for instance, and also since usually VMCJ pilots were second tour due to the fact that all flying were solo missions. So, those two checked flight grades and academic grades during flight training and selected the “nuggets” who would come to VMCJ-3.

    The Navy ferry squadrons were over-taxed and so I volunteered to ride in a Navy Saberliner to Lambert Field and pick up a new RF-4B. Think of it for a minute: a Phantom II pilot with only about 55 flights in the plane going to Lambert Field to pick up a new RF-4B with only flight test hours on it. I remember after leaving the tower frequency and requesting from departure control: “Departure Control, Marine Jet 153089, request, present position, direct to El Toro Marine Corps Air station, Flight Level 430.” After a long pause I received that clearance. INS enabled such a clearance and such procedures had just recently been added to the FAA procedures book. I had three tanks, a little over 1000 gal of JP-5 underneath so it was a non-stop trip from Lambert Field, St. Louis to El Toro MCAS.

    At the initial time squadron members started flying the RF-4B, a few more experienced pilots flew all four aircraft in the squadron: RF-8, RF-4, EF-10B, and the EA-6A. Could that happen nowaday?? …. obviously not.

    Thanks for the memories. I transitioned, after getting back from Vietnam to be a physician and I had a 30 year career as a small-town doctor. I own a Globe Swift and a Piper Comanche 250.

    Phantoms Forever

    Yours, Lance Christiansen, DO, Former Marine, Semper Fi

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *